Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Arguments for atheism.

As the title says, if you have a different view of the world you can discuss it here

Arguments for atheism.

Postby fatrob » Sat 23 Jul 2011 8:33 pm

Hello all.

I'm fairly new to this area of the blog (so I don't know how much I've missed) but as a Christian I found myself very drawn towards these debates.

Sadly, it seemed that, although people obviously have them, I couldn't persuade anyone to give any arguments for atheism on a different thread.

Would anyone be willing to give their reasons as to why they don't believe in God? This would be a discussion of real interest to me.

Best wishes
fatrob

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby EinsteinsGhost » Sat 23 Jul 2011 8:37 pm

I won't be taking part simply because I'm not an atheist. You just assumed that because of what I was saying to Steve.
However, their are some on here who are, so I'm sure they will be along shortly. Enjoy! :)
EinsteinsGhost

Postby fatrob » Sat 23 Jul 2011 8:41 pm

Many thanks Einsteins Ghost. I'm sure I will. May I ask, would you consider yourself an agnostic?
fatrob

Postby EinsteinsGhost » Sat 23 Jul 2011 8:51 pm

'agnostic'? not keen on the word. Prefer 'Seeker' I think.

Whatever, I don't feel up to anymore God talk one way or the other at the moment (though i'm sure that will change soon) So I won't take part. Your thread won't stay empty for long though I can assure you! :)
EinsteinsGhost

Postby fatrob » Sat 23 Jul 2011 8:58 pm

fair enough. I can completely understand. It looks like some people have been in this for much longer than I have (and are therefore much more tired of it than I am)

But rest assured, I have no business in 'winning' debates. I just want to express my views and defend God's word. If you ever want to come back to 'God talk', feel free to email or pm me instead. It doesn't have to be a massive public discussion.

Take care.
fatrob

Postby ebod » Sat 23 Jul 2011 10:51 pm

What the heck is all this influx about?
Steve, are you sending proselytized recruits to the DVOTW forum to test their faith!?

Just for the record, I plan to sit on the fence for this one, might chip in occassionaly either against athiesm or theism depending on how it pans out.
ebod

Postby Lee » Sun 24 Jul 2011 1:19 am

ebod wrote:What the heck is all this influx about?
Steve, are you sending proselytized recruits to the DVOTW forum to test their faith!?

Not true! And, frankly, not much of a test if I may say. Clearly, some on here have little working knowledge of what the Bible says (and why) and require educating on it. Maybe they should get their heads out of Dawkins and do some objective Bible study of their own before they regurgitate his revisionist bile and offer their on-the-spot amateur psychoanalytical profiling of believers!

Even now, I can picture No.5 falling asleep to the endless refrain of, "Mass-murder, rape, slavery," even when it has been pointed out to him that that's not exactly what happened (we know this, not because Dawkins tells us but because we can check the source itself). Unlawful killing and sexual depravity were prohibited by the Law and the terms of servitude in the offers of clemency granted rights that wouldn't have been enjoyed elsewhere.
Lee

Postby No.5 » Sun 24 Jul 2011 3:30 am

no its not exactly what happened because th whole thing is fiction...buts its what you people believe happened and still you worship this Shaiten.

I have no view on justifying atheism....no arguments in its favour or against it....have a very high regard for a lot of people who consider themselves atheist ( Stephen Fry)...but really don't care.

More amazed by strange people that worship imaginary genocidal gods to be honest
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
No.5

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 7:37 am

:-)
Yes, I'm sending all my 'recruits' here for work experience.

What on earth is a Shaiten? Even google can't help. :-S
steve s

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 7:39 am

@Lee
No.5 doesn't go to sleep until MUCH later! ;-)
steve s

Postby fatrob » Sun 24 Jul 2011 9:24 am

Ebod, apologies for the influx. ;)

I just find these debates interesting. and I'm hoping for some arguments against what I believe. It's a shame that nothing's come up yet but hey, looks like we don't have any atheists here (:
fatrob

Postby ebod » Sun 24 Jul 2011 9:26 am

no apology needed, it's a delight to have everyone here
ebod

Postby Nikki » Sun 24 Jul 2011 11:21 am

fatrob wrote:Hello all.

I'm fairly new to this area of the blog (so I don't know how much I've missed) but as a Christian I found myself very drawn towards these debates.

Sadly, it seemed that, although people obviously have them, I couldn't persuade anyone to give any arguments for atheism on a different thread.

Would anyone be willing to give their reasons as to why they don't believe in God? This would be a discussion of real interest to me.

Best wishes

Good thread fatrob. As a believer i cannot really say that much on the subject though, but look forward to reading what others might have to say.
Nikki

Postby Good Fairy » Sun 24 Jul 2011 12:17 pm

EinsteinsGhost wrote:I won't be taking part simply because I'm not an atheist. You just assumed that because of what I was saying......

Ditto. ive had 4 yrs of religious talk on here. thats simply why i dont usually bother now. it hasnt changed your thinking, (nor would i want it too ) and it hasnt changed mine lol, its just going around and around.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music....."Anon.
Good Fairy

Postby Lee » Sun 24 Jul 2011 12:51 pm

No.5 wrote:no its not exactly what happened because th whole thing is fiction...buts its what you people believe happened and still you worship this Shaiten.

Then, please No.5, explain the curious logic behind employing a 'work of fiction' as an argument against itself, insisting that a faulty revisionist interpretation is the only conclusion. You can't have this both ways.
Lee

Next

Return to A Different View of The World