Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Enhancing Flowersbook.What do you think?

This area is for any discussions around the Ventnor 2007 Survey.

Would you like a boardwalk between Spyglass and Steephill?

Yes
12%
No
88%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes : 25

Enhancing Flowersbook.What do you think?

Postby Ventnor 2007 » Tue 24 Jul 2007 8:16 pm

Hi everyone,

We thought you might like to see a really interesting proposal for the improvement of Ventnor that has come through. :idea:

It was written by John Whatley and he is very happy for his ideas to be put on the Forum so everyone can discuss them.

We have copied his notes for this post:

Flowersbrook and Boardwalk (2 separate ideas)

Build a solid wooden boardwalk between the Spyglass and Castle Cove. Thus creating a circular walk returning via Flowersbrook.

The boardwalk would run along the bottom of the cliff, above the rocks.

The scheme will provide a level path to Steephill Cove from Ventnor for visitors who find the steps/slopes difficult :)

Improve Flowersbrook. e.g. clean weeds, make pond larger, make more of the waterfall nearby (it is hidden in bushes), make more of this as a visitor attraction :)

The waterfall and movement of the water to the sea could be a very attractive feature.

These sound like great ideas. John said that the boardwalk would also create viewing points that are not possible at the moment.

It looks to be a green and natural improvement.

So what does everyone think of it :?:

Please use the poll to vote yes, no or not sure for a boardwalk

We have an outline drawing of the boardwalk idea from John which will be scanned in as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for the survey responses sent in so far, this is much appreciated :) We do need more though please! Click on http://ventnorblog.com/ventnor-2007-que ... ews-count/ to find the questionnaire.

Thanks everyone,

Susan and Mark
Last edited by Ventnor 2007 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ventnor 2007

boardwalk

Postby watchdog » Tue 24 Jul 2007 9:32 pm

Sorry, I don't think much of this boardwalk idea. First of all, its not very practical and would have to be above the tidemark, would be subject to slime and seaweed, and someone would have to keep it clean. It's also likely to be dangerous in rough seas.

More to the point, this is a splendid cliff and shoreline which should be left alone. For heaven's sake, can't we leave something in the Island in its natural state ?
Planning is for the community, not exploitation for private profit
watchdog

Postby annie » Wed 25 Jul 2007 7:53 am

Although I love the idea of a sea level walkway to Castle Cove, I have to agree with Watchdog that it is an impractical idea. The sea is an unbeatable foe and will tear such a structure from the cliff in short shrift - unless a LOT of money was spent (unlikely, this is Ventnor). And it will indeed become slippery and unsafe.

However, it would be good to enhance the Flowersbrook area. It used to be used extensively - see the pictures posted on flickr by EricIW.
Annie
annie

Postby doiley » Wed 25 Jul 2007 10:44 am

annie wrote:It used to be used extensively - see the pictures posted on flickr by EricIW.

As per piece on the blog yesterday
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby waspman » Wed 25 Jul 2007 12:01 pm

No thanks - the boardwalk would just ruin the appearance of another piece of currently impressive coastline. It would also prove very impractical to keep safe to use and to maintain.
waspman

Postby doiley » Wed 25 Jul 2007 4:29 pm

Not keen on this one. Sorry.
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Don't be sorry

Postby Ventnor 2007 » Wed 25 Jul 2007 11:36 pm

Doiley, don't be sorry. We are really glad that you all said no That is what the Forum is so good at doing. An idea can be conceived and tested out pretty much at once.

A lesson learnt for us is to split ideas up and not for instance have two ideas runing in one thread.

Can we ask you lastly on this thread to kindly ponder on enhancing Flowersbrook :?:

e.g. clean weeds, make pond larger, make more of the waterfall nearby (it is hidden in bushes), make more of this as a visitor attraction

The waterfall and movement of the water to the sea could be a very attractive feature.

What do you think of this, what difference would it make :?:

Annie, do you feel like expanding your thoughts a bit?

Thanks

Susan and Mark
Ventnor 2007

Postby Jay » Thu 26 Jul 2007 8:12 am

I think the broadwalk idea is a no no for all the above reasons.

As for flowersbrook, I walk my dogs around there on most days. Yesterday I looked at the old photo's mentioned above and was amazed, when I went, to see how much it has changed. It is much better without the caravans.
However the pond, although slightly uncared for still has the same features as in the 40's. I walked across the stepping stones ( a bit wobbly) and sat on the little bridge.
I think it would be a lovely idea to clean up the pond and make it more of a feature, I could not find the waterfall.

By the way, although having watched the forum for nearly 2 years, this my first post. Hello.
Jay

Postby annie » Thu 26 Jul 2007 8:26 am

Flowersbrook - I thought the old caravans added character to the place, and it certainly showed the area in use for much of the year. However, I do not advocate a modern caravan park!

Whenever I go there, it seems to be a rather sterile space. I think this is more so since the water board structure was built and some of the area was used for portacabins during the works on Castle Cove. There used to be a tea and ice cream place by the path down to the cove. It would nice to see such a facility there again, although I realise that it would more likely be a labour of love than an economic enterprise.

Yes, let's make more of a feature of the water, and make the pond and its stepping stones safe. Simon Goodenough once has a fantasy that this land could be maintained by his team at the Gardens to link more closely with Ventnor Park. Perhaps there is still some mileage in this idea - some more planting would add interest and perhaps make it once more a place to linger rather than to just walk through.

I don't think the land is flat enough to create a playing field of any description for the youngsters - and perhaps a cliff edge is not the right place for this in any case.
Annie
annie

Postby doiley » Thu 26 Jul 2007 8:27 am

Welcome Jay, glad to see you joining in.
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby farmersboy » Thu 26 Jul 2007 12:57 pm

remember the pitch and putt, in a hot dry summer (what's that!!!!!!!) a score of about 10 a hole was considered good as the ball rolled around and couldn't get a grip.
once a night is not enough
farmersboy

Postby Matt T » Thu 26 Jul 2007 1:38 pm

Boardwalk - No

Flowersbrook - Emphatic Yes.

Photos are brilliant, clearly depicting the castle which really enhanced the area
Matt T

Postby chutty » Thu 26 Jul 2007 8:46 pm

what brilliant pictures, i think the caravans look great, although i agree that if you filled it with modern ones, it'd probably look rubbish (especially with the satellite dishes that seem to be attached to most these days).
Life's too short to have regrets
chutty

Postby linlin » Thu 26 Jul 2007 10:34 pm

Perhaps we should form a volunteer group to give the area a tidy up!
linlin

Postby Alan » Fri 27 Jul 2007 4:24 pm

Last edited by Alan on Mon 21 Apr 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praying at the porcelain altar
Alan

Next

Return to Ventnor Future - Five Year Plan