Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Millbay etc

Tell all about the strange granting of planning permission or enforcement around the Island

Millbay etc

Postby sandwich » Wed 11 Oct 2006 4:58 pm

A chap called Dennis Peirson has been outside Sommerfield most of the day collecting signatures on a petition against Millbay development et al. I've never seen people queue to sign a petition before - the guy was running out of ink! Get down there tomorrow or e mail me for his contact details.
Who else is organising anything? When are we all going to get together to organise a united front against the trashing of Ventnor?
sandwich

Postby doiley » Thu 12 Oct 2006 11:02 am

That's good to hear, will pop down today (and take my own pen)
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby Mr Noah » Thu 12 Oct 2006 12:54 pm

This guy, is not part of any organisation and is just doing it because he feels so strongly about it. I've already signed. Go and do it and tell everyone about him and get them down there as well.

Steve
There are many things that I know nothing about. However, as I grow older, I find that I do not know what those things are.
Mr Noah

Postby doiley » Thu 12 Oct 2006 3:18 pm

I was chatting to him earlier and within the space of five minutes, four people came up to sign the petition, he said that there has been a constant stream of people all day and has had tremendous support. If you haven't signed, please pop down (even if you have already or are planning to object in writing)
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby Phoenix » Fri 13 Oct 2006 7:24 pm

i must have missed him, if i had seen him i would have signed it
Phoenix

Really??

Postby Jenny Skinner » Sat 14 Oct 2006 5:04 am

Cats and pigeons - why sign against? This is a fantastic chance for the town, come on - real critisism - oh BTW I don't work for Bunbury!!
Jenny Skinner

Re: Really??

Postby doiley » Sat 14 Oct 2006 11:14 am

Jenny Skinner wrote:This is a fantastic chance for the town

What is this fantastic chance then? Please enlighten us as I'm struggling to see what it could be.
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby Guest » Sat 14 Oct 2006 6:32 pm

meh, meh, and a little bit more 'meh'

Postby Jenny Skinner » Sun 15 Oct 2006 7:36 am

Um
- jobs
- a building that isn't an eyesore
- provides employment and brings money to the town

Perhaps I'm being too radical, but in my opinion that surely is a very positive development?

As a very good friend used to say "Things must and always will change" - this town will change, for the best I hope - but with only the most positive attitudes can we see this done well... Or sit in the sidelines complaining and watch it all go horribly wrong, let's support the best of the new ideas??

Jen
Jenny Skinner

Postby Mr Noah » Sun 15 Oct 2006 1:33 pm

The development is unlikely to provide jobs, as I understand that the builder will not be a Ventnor company.
The current building on the site is not an eyesore.

Judging by the occupancy rate of the Metropole, only 1 permanent resident, it is unlikely to provide any new employment and if, like the Metropol, the majority of flats are used as second homes, it will add nothing to the economy of the town.

Likewise, the Cheetah development is more likely to damage the businesses on the Esplanade, as it will remove valuable parking spaces. This could well have the effect of rducing the footfall along the seafront, with a resulting fall in trade for the local businesses there.

Steve Hogg
There are many things that I know nothing about. However, as I grow older, I find that I do not know what those things are.
Mr Noah

Postby doiley » Sun 15 Oct 2006 2:26 pm

Jenny Skinner wrote:
- a building that isn't an eyesore

How can you not call an ugly building, that is NOT in keeping with the street scene and obliterates the view of the beautiful terraces from the beach an eyesore? It is far too high and therefore an eyesore.

Jenny Skinner wrote: As a very good friend used to say "Things must and always will change" - this town will change, for the best I hope - but with only the most positive attitudes can we see this done well...

Here we agree, positive attitudes will result in things done well ... but positive change to me, means affordable housing for the people who grew up, live and work here. It means fewer (empty) 'luxury' apartments.

It means developers being reasonable with their plans ... just because the Metropole replaced a building of a certain height, didn't mean they had to rebuild to that same height (well as it turns out higher), they could've taken the decision to build to three storeys and give Ventnor back it's view of the terrace. What a difference that would've made not only to the visual views of town from the beach, but how people would've perceived these developers who claim to be giving something back to the town.

As far as I can see, there is little evidence of developers being reasonable in Ventnor.
site admin

the future is female
doiley

Postby Guest » Sun 15 Oct 2006 5:15 pm

right on sister

Return to Planning Peculiarities