Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Niton Pre-School Fundraising Coffee Morning - Sat 10th Oct

If you have details of charitable or non-commercial events or appeals, feel free to spread the word here.

Niton Pre-School Fundraising Coffee Morning - Sat 10th Oct

Postby Secret Cove » Wed 30 Sep 2009 6:40 pm

On Saturday 10th October please come along to Niton Village Hall between 10am and 12 noon for coffee and cakes, to help the parents and staff raise funds for Niton Pre-school.
Along with a chocolate tombola, harvest hamper raffle & cakes sale, there will be a used-toy sale, for which all donations of good quality second hand toys will be very much appreciated.
If you would like to book a table of your own to sell goods, please contact the pre-school on 730985. Niton Pre-school is a registered charity, Number 1100496.

Thank you!
Secret Cove

Postby lin » Wed 30 Sep 2009 11:00 pm

Let's keep to the rules; I know Niton is a school not a business, but advertising policy needs to be consistent.
lin

Postby jtmoore » Thu 01 Oct 2009 12:46 am

Surely the rules can be overlooked for charity and school events?
Give the world the best you have and although for some it may never be enough, give the world the best you have anyway.
jtmoore

Postby Secret Cove » Thu 01 Oct 2009 8:32 am

Yeah Lin, didn't see this coming did I. So now you don't think we can't post on here local community charity events? Perhaps Sal can let me know if this sort of post is inappropriate or not.

You know when I first came to this town the blog was friendly and a pleasure to be part of. Members on this forum got behind local events like this. Now you can't even post about a children's pre-school without someone slapping you down.
Secret Cove

Postby vdoiley » Thu 01 Oct 2009 9:47 am

We give over a huge amount of editorial space for charitable events on the blog, so from our point of view, promotion of such events is more than welcome on the forum too.

But perhaps I'll set up a new board for them, so they don't sit within General Chat.
vdoiley
Site Admin

let us all read about good cause events please.

Postby midnightgardener » Thu 01 Oct 2009 1:51 pm

I and im sure i am not alone, love reading about good cause events and generaly spread the word after reading the blog .i think Ventnor Blog is FANTASTIC please keep helping our wonderfull islands good causes Rod :) :) :D
Smile grin and sing and wait for the sunshine to spread everywhere.
midnightgardener

Postby lin » Thu 01 Oct 2009 6:56 pm

Thanks for clarifying the advertising rules. I too thought it was unfair to apply it to charitable groups on the grounds that this forum is for discussion. The new section should be really useful.
lin

Postby vdoiley » Fri 02 Oct 2009 8:48 am

lin wrote:Thanks for clarifying the advertising rules. I too thought it was unfair to apply it to charitable groups on the grounds that this forum is for discussion. The new section should be really useful.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I thought it would have been obvious that we were talking about businesses not charities.

I have updated the original post to make it very clear that this rule does not apply to charitable events.

Just to be clear, the 'no free advertising' rule applies to commercial ventures and commercial events.
vdoiley
Site Admin

Postby WIGHTEDUCATE » Sun 04 Oct 2009 1:28 pm

I am now a bit confused.

Is a CHARITY able to advertise here or not, because some charities RUN schools?

You will find many independent schools are run as businesses by CHARITIES.

As I say, this is where it becomes quite convoluted and involved.

Even where you might think that something is CHARITABLE it is not necessarily run by a CHARITY [please see Charities Commission for specific rules about what the legal definition of a Charity is for their purposes].

Myself I would have thought that anything that is done to aid children and anyone in need would have been "charitable" even if it is not run by a specific "Charity" [as defined by the list of Charities in the Charities Commission].
WIGHTEDUCATE

Postby vdoiley » Sun 04 Oct 2009 8:34 pm

Sigh!

Community and charitable items are free. A business promoting it's products or services is not.

It states it very clearly in the previous posts.
vdoiley
Site Admin

Postby WIGHTEDUCATE » Sun 04 Oct 2009 8:37 pm

Thank you for clarifying this because some charities run businesses - often in order to get funds so they can keep running.
WIGHTEDUCATE

Return to Community and charitable events