Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Photoshop and Linux

This board is an area where you can get advice on any manner of computer issues.

Photoshop and Linux

Postby BigEars » Tue 27 Oct 2009 11:55 am

Does anybody have any experience using Photoshop on Linux? A am disinclined to use any other photo processing software as Adobe really do have the very best suite of algorithms, even if the user interface is bog awful.

I am assuming the only route to go is to mount Photoshop onto Wine. Past experience tells me that in general, aberrant behaviour can be expected from emulators and there is no doubt that Photoshop pushes the operating system hard, so there is good reason not to set my expectations too high. Any thoughts?
BigEars

Postby Robert » Tue 27 Oct 2009 2:26 pm

Interesting article here: http://apcmag.com/google_behind_photosh ... bility.htm I've not tried using Photoshop on Linux, but that article would certainly be worth some further research. As you probably know Gimp is the graphics program used on Linux and it does have an excellent reputation.
Robert

Postby BigEars » Thu 29 Oct 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for the link Robert. The main news is that Google is financing Wine (the Windows emulator which allows you to use Windows applications on Linux). So it's two fingers up to Microsoft then.

As for Gimp, it provides a photo retouching facility, as opposed to Photoshop which delivers a virtual post-processing lab, so at the moment Photoshop is still the only game in town as far as I am concerned. Unless somebody knows different??
BigEars

Postby Looby Loo » Mon 02 Nov 2009 6:06 pm

You could try contacting Chris at IWPCS - he's really hot on Linux (& all other computer stuff)

Sure a quick chat would sort you out (I always find him faster at sorting things than googling)

07891 509466
Looby Loo

Postby maxime » Mon 28 Dec 2009 3:12 pm

BigEars wrote:As for Gimp, it provides a photo retouching facility, as opposed to Photoshop which delivers a virtual post-processing lab, so at the moment Photoshop is still the only game in town as far as I am concerned. Unless somebody knows different??

Hi,

It all depends what you are trying to do but GIMP has come a long way in the last two years and now supports most PhotoShop features.

If you have not done so lately, I would suggest you try out a copy of the latest version: http://www.gimp.org

Regarding Photoshop on Linux, you are unlikely to get the latest version working correctly. According to WineHQ, the latest version almost flawlessly is Photoshop CS2.

Regards,

Maxime
Maxime
maxime

Postby BigEars » Thu 31 Dec 2009 3:30 pm

Many thanks Maxime. I'll have another look at Gimp.
BigEars

Return to Internet Computer Club