Shortcut to: Isle of Wight News | Isle of Wight Weather | Isle of Wight Events | Christmas on Isle of Wight | VB Forum

Arguments for atheism.

As the title says, if you have a different view of the world you can discuss it here

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Good Fairy » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:27 pm

LOL i didnt even notice...did we both spell it wrong ? crikey. :lol:
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music....."Anon.
User avatar
Good Fairy
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon 24 Sep 2007 12:39 am
Location: glorious, awesome ventnor.

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Wight Portal » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:29 pm

steve s wrote:My faith is perfectly happy with the definition you'd find in any decent dictionary.


So for someone who claims to of heard the voice of God from a bush, you would need proof to believe them yes?
User avatar
Wight Portal
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:18 am
Location: Carisbrooke

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:31 pm

EinsteinsGhost wrote:
Lee wrote:
No.5 wrote:no its not exactly what happened because th whole thing is fiction...buts its what you people believe happened and still you worship this Shaiten.

Then, please No.5, explain the curious logic behind employing a 'work of fiction' as an argument against itself, insisting that a faulty revisionist interpretation is the only conclusion. You can't have this both ways.


I think you may just have scored a bit of an own-goal with that one. I take it then you accept it is faulty logic to use the bible in itself as proof that the bible is true? Which is what you (and others) do all the time!


Take care when mentioning logic EG. Cpss will be back and he'll have you for breakfast again! ;-)
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:34 pm

WP.
If it was Moses I think I'd probably take his word for it. He did some other pretty impressive stuff by the power of God.
Other people? I'd probably want to check out their credentials, yes.
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby EinsteinsGhost » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:37 pm

steve s wrote:WP.
If it was Moses I think I'd probably take his word for it. He did some other pretty impressive stuff by the power of God.
Other people? I'd probably want to check out their credentials, yes.


Steve oh steve...dear oh dear!....and how did you check out the credentials of Moses? Your scoring as many own-goals as Lee today!
EinsteinsGhost
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun 27 Mar 2011 11:25 am
Location: Ryde, IOW

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Good Fairy » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:39 pm

interestingly, ive just seen some beautiful photographs of mt. Sinai, dad has just come back from egypt and took a trek through the desert and then a 4 hr camel trek up the mountain. I asked him if it felt special or was it just the atmospherics, he shook his head and grinned, and said, no, its special, theres and air of something about it.

looked amazing, and ancient. Interstingly, Moses was taught by the Egyptians all the secrets of the priests and magicians. Acts 7:22 ( ALL the wisdom of egypt...thats some teaching )
Thats some wisdom wouldnt you say. He was more than just a man, and given his training, could easily be placed among the high priest of egypt. Fabulous wisdom. fascinating character.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music....."Anon.
User avatar
Good Fairy
 
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon 24 Sep 2007 12:39 am
Location: glorious, awesome ventnor.

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Wight Portal » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:42 pm

steve s wrote:WP.
If it was Moses I think I'd probably take his word for it. He did some other pretty impressive stuff by the power of God.
Other people? I'd probably want to check out their credentials, yes.


According to who did Moses do his impressive stuff?

Oh yes manuscripts from centuries ago, same thing ain't it?

Say this person did as much as Moses, still got to check him out? Can't believe it because it's not written in a centuries old book? :wink:
User avatar
Wight Portal
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:18 am
Location: Carisbrooke

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:54 pm

I'm not sure of the point you are making WP. I thought you were allowing me the possibility of having lived in "so called biblical times".
If somebody was around today doing what Moses did and giving the glory to God, I would take notice.


I do hope this isn't another own-goal. ;-)
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:56 pm

EinsteinsGhost wrote:
steve s wrote:WP.
If it was Moses I think I'd probably take his word for it. He did some other pretty impressive stuff by the power of God.
Other people? I'd probably want to check out their credentials, yes.


Steve oh steve...dear oh dear!....and how did you check out the credentials of Moses? Your scoring as many own-goals as Lee today!



Herein lies the difficulty. I believe the book and have found it to be reliable. You, presumably, haven't.
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby EinsteinsGhost » Sun 24 Jul 2011 5:59 pm

steve s wrote:
EinsteinsGhost wrote:
steve s wrote:WP.
If it was Moses I think I'd probably take his word for it. He did some other pretty impressive stuff by the power of God.
Other people? I'd probably want to check out their credentials, yes.


Steve oh steve...dear oh dear!....and how did you check out the credentials of Moses? Your scoring as many own-goals as Lee today!



Herein lies the difficulty. I believe the book and have found it to be reliable. You, presumably, haven't.


Reliable? reliable for what? as what?
EinsteinsGhost
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun 27 Mar 2011 11:25 am
Location: Ryde, IOW

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Wight Portal » Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:00 pm

I'm just trying to understand where claims for miraculous happenings can be believed or refuted as lunacy.

We have already learnt about Lee's Divine Judgement, so why when mass murderers claim to of been told to do what they have done by God are they not believed?

Has the modern age and science made Christians sceptical?
User avatar
Wight Portal
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:18 am
Location: Carisbrooke

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:02 pm

Reliable.
Adj. Consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted.
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:04 pm

I would argue that the modern age and science has made some Christians skeptical. Fwiw, I rate this as a good question.
I'm not sure there's anything particularly miraculous about a mass murderer claiming God told him to do it. :-S

btw. I don't think that divine judgement was Lee's.
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby Wight Portal » Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:07 pm

So where is the line drawn?

Lee brought it up so it's his :D

Murder of course isn't miraculous but the connotation that God has intervened is surely?
Last edited by Wight Portal on Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wight Portal
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed 07 Oct 2009 10:18 am
Location: Carisbrooke

Re: Arguments for atheism.

Postby steve s » Sun 24 Jul 2011 6:08 pm

The line between... ?
steve s
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed 19 Mar 2008 12:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to A Different View of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron